cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring Application Using Browser Extension

pawan_mishra5
Visitor

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to monitor one of the application via the use of browser extension feature provided by Dynatrace.

The concern is that in my environment this application is used by all type of browser like IE, chrome, Mozilla, edge.

So just want to know If chrome extension will be used if we will be able to analyze performance of the chrome user only. If Yes then how to monitor other browser users.

4 REPLIES 4

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

We currently support Chrome and Edge.  The details are documented here:  https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/rum-browser-extension 

We will receive RUM data only from browsers that have installed the extension, so yes, that would mean only from Chrome and Edge.

Why not use RUM monitoring on your application?  The browser extension is designed primarily for SaaS applications where there is no possibility to install a OneAgent and use auto-injected Javascript for RUM, or there is not even the possibility to manually inject the RUM Javascript.  

Thanks Dave for your response and which solves my query due to some security concern application team is not allowing to install oneagent but can try to inject JS in frontend.

@dave_mauney 

Just a quick doubt: would this also be supported on other Chromium based browsers too, like Brave for instance?

Antonio Sousa

Yes, it works also on Brave. As long as the browser is based on chrome and supports the same chrome extensions, it will work.

If you can place a reverse proxy such as Apache/NGINX with OneAgent between the user and the app, it may work even better. But this depends on your use case.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Featured Posts