Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nice to know: Appliction ID in URL

henk_stobbe
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hello,

I have noticed that application with the same same in different environments, also get the same ID in the url's. reference them. This is nice to know.

Does anybody know what the algorithm used here is? This might come in handy!

KR Henk

6 REPLIES 6

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

In general, the entity ID are generated by some hash algorithm based on the entity identifiers (sorry don't know the algorithm). In the case of an application entity in Dynatrace, it's the name you enter when creating the application in the UI. So if you have created an application of the same name in Dynatrace in different environments, it will create the same entity ID. 
You can rename it afterwards, but the entity ID will be always preserved. You can also create an entity using the configuration API with the entity ID of your choice.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

The only App that receive the same id is the default "My Web Application", which is "EA7C4B59F27D43EB".

You mean that you found apps created by detection rules got also same ID on different tenants?

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

Hello Dannemca,

I think Julias just answered that, but yes (-;

KR Henk

r_weber
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi @henk_stobbe ,

actually when creating applications through the API you can define the "internal" application ID. I'm doing this on purpose to allow consistent configuration as code for example across multiple Dynatrace environments or clusters. This allows me simple identification of applications.

For example if you want to build and provision dashboards that reference an Application filter or similar.

If one would create applications manually with the UI the ID would be different all the time.

E.g. when POSTing a application detection rule via API you can specify the Application ID:

r_weber_0-1643795166016.png

kr,

Reinhard

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

henk_stobbe
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi Reinhard,

Perfect addition, only missing the the word Monaco (-;

What is Monaco? | Monaco (dynatrace-oss.github.io)

Thank you!

KR Henk

r_weber
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi @henk_stobbe ,

you are missing the word Monaco because my configuration as code was done way before Monaco was even started. You can consider Monaco as a copy of my idea and implementation - it even has been build at a much larger scale 🙂

I've written an blog article on that even which seems to be removed by Dynatrace now (their own interest maybe?). The Blog article was part 4 of this series, and is mentioned in the last paragraph here.

kr,

Reinhard

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

Featured Posts