cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Application Detection Rule

AK
Pro

Hi All,

We have some application detection rule configured.

For example
Application 1

application.com/userinfo

Application 2

application.com/useraccountsummary

As both are part same domain, user can traverse from here and there without re-login

In this case, how user actions will get accumulated? under Application 1 or under Application 2?

And also how user session will appear in this case?

Can someone please help on this

Regards,
AK

3 REPLIES 3

HI @AK 

user action will be included in the respective Applications where the user did the action.
This way you'll have 2 buckets of user actions one for app /userinfo and the other for app /useraccountsummary.

The user session will include the information that it went from app 1 to app 2 with all the user actions made in each application in the right order (as you would expect your user two travel between the two).

Hope I have clarified this for you,

Regards

Appreciate your response @y_buccellato, this clear few thing however, I'm still confused with below,

So, does sequence of application detection rule really matter in this case, if yes then how? still not able to correlate it.

Moreover, I'm confused with user session cookies too.

As per my understanding,

If user hits application 1, cookies get set for it until user closes a browser eventhough user accesses application 2, user session does not appear in applicaton 2.

Is my understanding correct in this case? Can you share your opinion on it.

I checked specific section of documentation

Regards,
AK

Assuming that the Application Detection Rule are well done - the sequence (order) of them in your tenant has little to do on how Dynatrace will gather the data of the user session going through the two separate applications.

If during his/her entire session user traverse App1 and App2 this will be showed in the user session registered.
See this in my environment as an example:

y_buccellato_0-1684147692547.png

The user went in two separate web applications in my environment (and distinct in Dynatrace by their own Application Detection Rule): if I look at his/her session I can exactly see that. Within one user session he/she went from app1 to app2 and all his actions are related to that specific session.

Of course if the user "goes to app1 > then close the browser > goes to app2 > then close the browser" this is counted as two separated sessions and in each session you won't be able to see any multiple application access.

Hope this has clarified a little

Featured Posts