cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy external monitors using Monaco V2

f098wr09w0e9fdw
Visitor

Hello Dynatrace community,

I'm currently using Dynatrace Monaco v2.3.0 to manage my Dynatrace configuration and I'm trying to create an external monitor of type SYNTHETIC. (API /api/v1/synthetic/ext/tests ). However, it seems that Monaco is not currently supporting the creation of external monitors.

I have reviewed the documentation (list of supported apis in monaco) and searched through community forums to confirm that this is a current limitation. However, before I close this case, I was wondering if someone from the support team could let me know if there is a way to create external monitors using Monaco, or if this is a feature expected to be added in a future release.

Could you please confirm whether this is a known limitation of Monaco or if there is a workaround?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@f098wr09w0e9fdw,

Slightly different, check out how it can be done with containerized auto-scalable private location deployment, eliminating the need to deploy individual synthetic ActiveGates on separate hosts or virtual machines:
https://www.dynatrace.com/news/blog/dynatrace-delivers-flexible-and-scalable-kubernetes-native-synth...

Antonio Sousa

Hi @AntonioSousa 

Thank you very much for your response! I have been reading the documentation you suggested and I don't think it will fit my current architecture.

In my case, the tests are executed from a third-party source. So, I think that defining a new location within a cluster will not help me because I don't want Dynatrace to execute my tests. Instead, I want the third party to push the test data to Dynatrace ( API /api/v1/synthetic/ext/tests ). I was wondering if there was a way to create the synthetic placeholder (id, name, url etc) using Monaco and then send the test run data updates using the API.

Thank you very much for your response, it has helped me understand how containerized auto-scalable private locations work and how to use them in the future.

@f098wr09w0e9fdw what kind of configuration to create third-party synthetic monitors do you want to push using configuration as code?

3rd party monitors actually are not "configured", you actually just push the data and monitors are created automatically. 

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

AntonPineiro
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi,

I can see that API in the documentation:

AntonPineiro_0-1687728616377.png

I would suggest to create one manually, download configuration using Monaco, and having a look to existing YAML and JSON files.

Best regards

❤️ Emacs ❤️ Vim ❤️ Bash ❤️ Perl

Featured Posts