cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynatrace Managed - HTTP monitor - Response body size limit

tibebe_m_digafe
Advisor

Hello,

Is there a size limit to the size of the response body? 

I have a synthetic HTTP monitor for health-check of a repository based on the ability to pull a file with a size around 48MB.

The monitor reports the size around 10MB. 

tibebe_m_digafe_0-1639070303468.png

and response time seems to align to this 10MB, not to the "download" time for the full 48MB.

Thanks. Tibebe

11 REPLIES 11

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

@tibebe_m_digafe there is a limit on the Size and Dynatrace is reviewing the options of increasing this limit. @Jacek_Janowicz could you shed some light on this for the user?

-Chad

techean
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Believe 20 MB max size is ideal, and every application should limit the file size using some compression components.

KG

HannahM
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

The new HTTP Monitor Advanced settings will allow customers to increase the size allowed to 20MB. Currently this is only available in preview though. 

HannahM
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Yes, I can confirm that there is a  default limit of 10MB for Response body size. The Maximum allowed is 20MB.

We actually have a Preview at the moment for increasing this value from the default setting, which Jacek is running. If you would be interested please let your CSM know. 

Jacek_Janowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

To be fully precise: the setting @HannahM is talking about serves mainly for increasing amount of data which synthetic engine reads for purpose of content validation. But, of course, data needs to be retrieved first.

Honestly speaking, I've expected that 20MB will be safe threshold for single HTTP request, may I ask (out of curiosity little bit) what kind of application you're working with? Getting almost 50 MB within single HTTP request doesn't look like standard case

Best Regards,

Jacek

Hello,

As stated in my initial comment: "I have a synthetic HTTP monitor for health-check of a repository based on the ability to pull a file with a size around 48MB." 

We are not interested in parsing the response but the ability to verify the file (a binary file) got downloaded with a reasonable time.

Thanks. Tibebe

Tibebe,

Thanks for your comment,

I fully understand. That's why I said, that data needs to be retrieved first.

The problem is that limit we've introduced (20MB) is insufficient for your case

I've added that to list of feedback we've collected so far regarding Advanced settings for HTTP

May I have an extra question: do you have multiple monitors which need to download such amount of data? Or is it single one, kind of special scenario? If multiple, would be great to know estimated number of monitors which need to deal with such a big payloads.

Best Regards,

Jacek

Hi Jacek.

So far a single one. I do not anticipate additional ones any time soon, if any.

Thanks. Tibebe

ifordyce-s95
Visitor

Hi there.

I'm reading this with interest, because I have a situation where the response payload is up to 1MB.

Unfortunately there isn't much I can do to strip it down.

Any ideas on what I could do with that? Would it be better to use an browser monitor? But then the issue would be that I need to subsequently POST back to our application - and I can't see how to POST in the browser monitor.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian, 

currently the defaut Response Body size in 50kb. We have a Preview at the moment for increasing this value from the default setting, which Jacek is running. If you would be interested please let your CSM know. 

In order to make a POST request in a Browser monitor you need to make a fetch request in a JavaScript event. There is an example here

techean
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Cannot it be optimize for any kind of compression ?

KG

Featured Posts