cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidelines to maintain Monaco code using version control

Krishna_Reddy
Frequent Guest

I am looking for guidelines/best practices to maintain my application's Monaco code using version control. Mainly the part where variables being used in the synthetic monitors are getting replaced by values when we download the existing configuration. Resolving conflicts between the current code and the downloaded configuration is difficult. Am I doing something wrong here? or is there a better way to handle the version control to be in sync with the changes that are made on the Dynatrace UI?

2 REPLIES 2

Krishna_Reddy
Frequent Guest

Hi @all , Can someone please shed some light here?

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

My general practice with monaco and version control (GIT) is to deploy with Monaco only. I use different branches for different Dynatrace environments.

So my workflow looks like this:

• Importing new configuration
    • download the configuration using monaco
    • copy the required configurations into the monaco project 
    • remove the identifiers where necessary, put a reference to other configurations where required
    • commit the configuration into version control (master branch)
  • Deploying configuration
    • Merge the master branch into the branch for a specific environment (Production)
    • Adjust parameters in project yaml files where required
    • Deploy using monaco
  • Updating configuration
    • Download the configuration again (useful when there are significant changes)
    • copy the required configurations into project (replace)
    • remove the identifiers where necessary, put reference to other configurations where required
    • merge the configuration with the existing one. Since you are using version control, you can see the changes.
    • commit the change to master branch

As you specifically ask for synthetic - for any values used in the synthetic monitors you need you should use the vault, so it's easily manageable.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Featured Posts