cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change the synthetic monitor script timeout?

Quirina
Guide

Hi,

I record one end-to-end click path, it's one business process. But when I playback the click path, it will display a "hard timeout" error. I know the script timeout is 5 minutes. I just want to know if I want to lengthen the timeout to more than 5 minutes. What can I do?

Can anyone give me some suggestions, please?

6 REPLIES 6

DanielS
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

As it said in the documentation the Browser clickpaths are hard-coded to time out after 5 minutes.

By the moment is not possible to change it otherways.

https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Synthetic-Monitoring/1301-Hard-Timeout/td-p/125651

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

HannahM
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Before increasing the timeout I would take a look at why the monitor is hitting the hard timeout. Are the pages loading as quickly as you expect? Have you added in waits that are not really needed? Often we can decrease the time a script takes to run by changing the waits. You can see the descriptions of the different wait strategies here. Wait for specific element to appear or Wait for next event are usually good options to try in this scenario. 
That said, if you just have a really slow site and the monitor needs to navigate across many pages you may find you need to increase the hard timeout. We added an option to increase the hard timeout for Browser Monitors. It is only available in the API and you can find the documentation here.
bmMonitorTimeout - browser monitor execution timeout (ms)
maximum: 3600000
minimum: 60000

bmStepTimeout - browser monitor single step execution timeout (ms)

maximum: 180000
minimum: 10000

Synthetic SME and community advocate.

Thank you so much for your suggestion! I will have a try by your suggestion👍

SachinJindal
Helper

Hi @HannahM  is there recent change in bmMonitorTimeout for maximum value.. wanted to know more and why this has been decreased....

Yes, bmMonitorTimeout max has been decreased from 60 minutes to 15 minutes. After further analysis this timeout was found to be better overall. Are your monitors taking longer than 15 minutes to execute?

Synthetic SME and community advocate.

yes please we would need monitors to be able to run atleast 1 hour since we have long journeys and slowness in the system which usually takes 40-50 minutes.. 

Regards

Featured Posts