cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ETCD kubernets and dockers

natanael_mendes
Champion

Good day for everybody, i wanna know if is possible monitor ETCD(kubernetes dockers) with dynatrace or dynatrace extension

Dynatrace Professional Certified
9 REPLIES 9

bradley_danyo
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hello,

We do have an etcd extension for OpenShift.  You can see our github page, as well as view in the Dynatrace hub.

openshift is a requirement? in my case we dont use openshift.

Dynatrace Professional Certified

Unfortunately, the extension only currently works with Openshift.  You can open up a product idea with our Dynatrace team if that is something you'd wish to see in the Dynatrace platform.

bradley_danyo
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

You could also try the Prometheus extension (if you have this data there) or using the Metrics API endpoint to ingest metrics.

florian_g
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

usually, ETCD offers metrics in Prometheus format - you can leverage our feature to scrape Prometheus endpoints in k8s to get these metrics to Dynatrace. In K8s I would recommend this approach over the extension based approach mentioned by @bradley_danyo 

One does not simply run a container...

tibebe_m_digafe
Advisor

Hello,

Has anyone actually implemented ingestion of etcd Prometheus metrics? I'm running Dynatrace Operator 0.11.2 (full stack). I added the following in etcd pods but no etcd metrics are ingested. I have Prometheus metrics being ingested from several other pods from the same k8s cluster (NOT Openshift)

metrics.dynatrace.com/http.auth: builtin:default
    metrics.dynatrace.com/port: "2379"
    metrics.dynatrace.com/scrape: "true"
    metrics.dynatrace.com/secure: "true"
    metrics.dynatrace.com/tls.ca.crt: secret:dynatrace:dynatrace-dev-tls-etcd-own:ca.crt
    metrics.dynatrace.com/tls.crt: secret:dynatrace:dynatrace-dev-tls-etcd-own:tls.crt
    metrics.dynatrace.com/tls.key: secret:dynatrace:dynatrace-dev-tls-etcd-own:tls.key

Appreciate any help/insights

Thanks. Tibebe 

FYI, I can get metrics manually from the etcd metrics endpoint  (host:2379/metrics) with no issue

Did you check the response code the operator returned? Use the dsfm metric

dsfm:active_gate.kubernetes.api.query_count and filter for desired endpoint.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

tibebe_m_digafe
Advisor

Hi @Julius_Loman. Thanks much for the insight.

The cluster I am testing with (a sandbox) has very limited # of HUs/license. I'll try on another cluster.

Thanks. Tibebe

Featured Posts