Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Davis not picking up events on custom devices

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Hello everyone,

does anybody know if events for custom devices are picked up by Davis in root cause analysis? I have developed an ActiveGate extension which creates custom devices with IP addresses and ports. When service monitored by OneAgent on other hosts communicate to this custom device, a service on top of the custom device is created and it shows "(Group name) on port xxx" (that's correct). You can see service flows to custom devices and also custom devices in PurePaths and that's good - relations are ok. See below:

However if I send some problem opening events for the custom device itself (you cannot send to the "service" entity created on top of the custom device from an extension) and the requests from OneAgent monitored service fail because the custom device fails, it does not correlate in the root cause analysis and I still have two problems:

• The first problem detected by OneAgent including both OneAgent monitored service and service on top on the custom device (failure rate for example)
  • The second problem for the custom device itself - the problem I've sent via ActiveGate extension

I've tried sending different severities, events from extension code, event based on metrics, ... without luck.

This is the problem with root cause identified as the service on top of custom device. It's based on the opaque web service calls:

This is the service Dynatrace created on the top of custom device:

This is the custom device itself. You can notice there are several problems opened, but none of them was taken into the root cause analysis for the first problem.

I still think Davis should pick up the events on the custom device itself when it detects problems on a service that the custom device provides. Can anyone ask Davis, please?

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner
10 REPLIES 10

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

After reaching out to support to ensure that I get you the correct information, it depends on the custom device itself.

Mainly it depends on how we see custom devices as part of the service flow.

Custom device as proxy -> Not yet part of root cause, but is something that is coming soon.

Custom device as endpoint -> Yes, it is part of the root cause detection

Custom device not in the service flow -> Not going to be used

-Chad

@Chad T., in this case, it's not a proxy - see the service flow. Traffic ends on the custom device as shown in the screenshots. My question was about events on the custom device itself - as you cannot push any problem opening events on the services of custom devices.

It's similar to standard Oneagent deployment for example if the root cause for response time degradation would be CPU saturation on a host -> CPU saturation on the host entity.

In my case, the failure is caused by the custom device itself, but it seems it is not included in the root cause detection.

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @Július L.

I cannot help you on this one, but your exposition solved a pending issue I had at the moment.

Thanks!

Antonio Sousa

wolfgang_beer
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

@Július L. could you send me an email with all the links to your problem, so that we can check in detail?

wolfgang_beer
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

We found a merge bug in combination with your scenario which we will fix in release 207. Expect that the merge of Error rate events with error_level custom events on the custom device works once the 207 release goes into production.

Best greetings,

Wolfgang

Thanks @Wolfgang B., happy to hear this is going to be fixed soon.

Vanguard
Contributor

@JulioYou wrote "you cannot send to the "service" entity created on top of the custom device from an extension" - do I understand this correctly, from with an ActiveGate Extention, it is NOT possible to create an availability Event via the SDK (report_availability_event) to a specific entity, for example a PROCESS_GROUP_INSTANCE-*? That is what I have been trying to do and have failed so far:

Vanguard_0-1666969042069.png

Vanguard_1-1666969113072.png

It does in fact open an avail. event with the expected properties but the entity in question is not connected to the Problem 😞

@Vanguard correct. The extension 1.0 SDK allows sending events only to entities created by the extension itself. You cannot send events to particular entities. This is possible only by using Event API.

I'm not sure how it's processed internally. The only 'supported' method is to fire such events using events API. 

Vanguard
Contributor

@Julius_LomanThank you for clarifying this. It is a little unfortunate and should be documented better what is can and cannot do - it is far from obvious.

You are welcome. You can simply use the API from your extension python code, just you need to call the API yourself (including token handling)

Featured Posts