cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State of ActiveMQ and ActiveMQ Artemis Support

r_weber
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

I'm a bit confused what the state of support for ActiveMQ Artemis and ActiveMQ is. Based on some forum posts here and also my experience ActiveMQ Artemis is not fully supported (that is JMX metrics via built-in plugins). There are custom JMX plugins that fetch AMQ Artemis metrics, though.

On the other hand on the Dynatrace Hub we can find both flavours as supported by Dynatrace:

r_weber_0-1646918341504.png

On the Dynatrace demo instance we can also find ActiveMQ Artemis detected as separate Technology and distinguished from ActiveMQ

r_weber_1-1646918499874.png

In my tenant however ActiveMQ Artemis is detected as "normal" ActiveMQ and no metrics are collected unless I use a custom JMX Plugin:

r_weber_2-1646918680014.png

On the Queues screen then there is a ActiveMQ queue (which in reality is a ActiveMQ Artemis Queue) which shows no queue metrics, but reminds me to activate the ActiveMQ JMX plugin (which is enabled but doesn't provide any data since it is ActiveMQ Artemis)

r_weber_3-1646919053253.png

This seems a bit inconsistent and like incomplete support, relying on community AMQArtemis plugins and a little "bit" official support. So my questions:

- what is needed to detect ActiveMQ Artemis as technology correctly?

- is there an official support for AMQ Artemis? Are metrics from AMQArtemis collected via the "normal" AMQ JMX extension? Should the ActiveMQ JMX plugin be enhanced? 

- How can AMQArtemis metrics on the Queues screen be displayed the same way as for "normal ActiveMQ" (seems that this built in page for AMQ provides more queue details than for AMQArtemis) 

Cheers!

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net
8 REPLIES 8

hrussac
Newcomer

Same question here and what to do in order to get metrics in queues and broker section. Documentation seems incomplete. A blog post would be nice for clarification. 

r_weber
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Unfortunately not. I know the documentation, but in regards to ActiveMQ Artemis it is incomplete.

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

We're currently working on a documentation for the Queues screen where we will add all these details

_Alexander_
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi @r_weber, thanks for your questions - please see my answers below:

What is needed to detect ActiveMQ Artemis as technology correctly?

ActiveMQ Artemis monitoring is an out-of-the-box capability of Dynatrace – no extension is needed here. It seems that in your case ActiveMQ Artemis cannot be detected (further investigation via our Support team would be needed here)

Is there an official support for AMQ Artemis?

Yes, it is officially supported - see our Technology support page

Are metrics from AMQArtemis collected via the "normal" AMQ JMX extension? Should the ActiveMQ JMX plugin be enhanced? 

We currently don't offer a plugin for ActiveMQ Artemis. This might change in the future. However, please note that Apache suggests Micrometer as metrics provider not JMX. Follow up reading: https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/latest/metrics.html

How can AMQArtemis metrics on the Queues screen be displayed the same way as for "normal ActiveMQ" (seems that this built in page for AMQ provides more queue details than for AMQArtemis) 

ActiveMQ Artemis metrics are currently not available, but this might change in the future.

Do you have any information of how dynatrace can tap into micrometer once it is running on artemis?

My apologies - I also clicked on "not the solution" and there is no "undo" button.

I have the same problem and it has been over TWO years since this post was submitted. 

Where is the support for Artemis? Like the post, I see some basic metrics, but the UI in Dynatrace is for the best part, empty!

ActiveMQ Artemis queue and broker metrics are not supported

https://docs.dynatrace.com/docs/shortlink/queues-configuration#tech-specific-metrics

Featured Posts