cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynatrace Real User Monitoring Agentless

shashank_b_agra
Organizer

Hi, I have recently configured Dynatrace RUM for one of my applications. The application is hosted on a third party cloud and we don't have access to the servers so we were not able to install one agent on it.

That is why we followed agentless approach and injected the JS tag on all the pages.

Everything is configured correctly and working fine but I am not able to see any Errors. For example there is a page which continuously throwing 5XX errors and I can confirm that from my access logs (below is one example) but why it is not showing in Dynatrace. Ideally it should show everything from end to end including HTTP errors.

77.XXX.93.XXX - - [13/Aug/2021:11:39:22 +0100] "GET /care/my-media/billing HTTP/1.1" 500 3267 995987 "https://my.mywebsite.com/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/92.0.4515.131 Safari/537.36" TLSv1.2 ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256

The flow is like this browser --> Third party cloud --> This makes call to a web service using a API gateway -> Middleware -> backend.

In my scenario the API gateway is throwing error and sending it back to consumer and the same we are seeing in access logs but not in Dynatrace.

Can someone shed some light on this if this is an expected behaviour?

Regards,

Shashank

3 REPLIES 3

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

@shashank_b_agra were you able to get any assistance with this? have you contacted support? were you able to get the errors to populate/transmit to Dynatrace? 

-Chad

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

@shashank_b_agra  are you sure your web application is really receiving responses with HTTP 500? Any chance the 3rd party service in between handles the error gracefully and returns a valid response?
Did you setup any error detection rules for the web application?

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

shashank_b_agra
Organizer

@Julius_Loman @ChadTurner Thank you both foe responding to this question. Seems like the server is responding with 500 error but the front end itself is handling it and displaying a proper error page to customers so the page itself is returning with 200 and that is why it is not showing 500.

Also my application is deployed with agentless RUM which has it's own limitations so I really can't see the full service flow.

Featured Posts