cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USQL with application/internalApplicationId: which is more efficient?

AntonioSousa
Champion

When using USQL with an application where condition, eg.

SELECT * from useraction where application is "applicationName"

if one changes the applicationName, the query will stop giving results. I have changed the queries to use internalApplicationId instead, and while it is not easily understandable, it does the job.

I had the initial visual perception that internalAppplicationId was loading faster in a Dashboard where I still had both of the approaches, but now that I have done more tests, it doesn't seem so clear.

The question is thus if anyone knows if one of the approaches is faster, or more efficient?

2 REPLIES 2

ChadTurner
Leader

really the only benefit is if your organization changes the Name frequently. If you base it off of ID# then that ID will always exists (unless the application is deleted) no matter how many name changes it may go through. 

I have not see any evidence that would conclude one method loads faster then the other. 

-Chad

@ChadTurner 

Reminded me of an interesting twist: if I delete an application and create another one with the same name, will the USQL by application name gather stats from both of them? The ID approach would certainly not work...