cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USQL with application/internalApplicationId: which is more efficient?

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

When using USQL with an application where condition, eg.

SELECT * from useraction where application is "applicationName"

if one changes the applicationName, the query will stop giving results. I have changed the queries to use internalApplicationId instead, and while it is not easily understandable, it does the job.

I had the initial visual perception that internalAppplicationId was loading faster in a Dashboard where I still had both of the approaches, but now that I have done more tests, it doesn't seem so clear.

The question is thus if anyone knows if one of the approaches is faster, or more efficient?

Antonio Sousa
2 REPLIES 2

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

really the only benefit is if your organization changes the Name frequently. If you base it off of ID# then that ID will always exists (unless the application is deleted) no matter how many name changes it may go through. 

I have not see any evidence that would conclude one method loads faster then the other. 

-Chad

@ChadTurner 

Reminded me of an interesting twist: if I delete an application and create another one with the same name, will the USQL by application name gather stats from both of them? The ID approach would certainly not work...

Antonio Sousa

Featured Posts