cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a log metric be used in an alert like this?

Brynatrace
Observer

I've got a log file that every so often writes the duration of a script down:

[Friday, May 7, 2021 5:31:07 PM] Run started...
[Friday, May 7, 2021 6:32:28 PM] Run completed
[Friday, May 7, 2021 6:32:28 PM] Total runtime: 61.21 Minutes
[Friday, May 7, 2021 6:36:07 PM] Run started...

My metric captures the 61.21 as a Number called RunMinutes and that seems to work great for charting.
This log exists for many process groups.

What I want to do is monitor for RunMinutes greater than 45 and trigger a Slowdown alert, and if the log hasn't been written to in an hour, trigger an (error, availability?) Alert.

From the Create Custom Event for Alerting, when I select my RunMinutes Metric, the option by "Alert anomalies with a static threshold of" only has "Count" in the dropdown.  If I put 45 in there, am I telling it 45 new instances of RunMinutes, instead of a RunMinutes value of greater than 45?  

And on the next bit, if I set the observation period to 60 minutes - where we can Alert if the data is missing for 60 minutes - if one of my logs that gives me RunMinutes is hung up, but the others are still putting in RunMinutes - while I not see an alarm, do I need to do I need to create a single custom event for each log to get an alert when one's hung up?

Thanks,

B

1 REPLY 1

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

As long as the data exists/shows up in the log file, then yes you can alert on it. You have multiple methods to alert on it. You can create a problem on it, create an event for it an so on. Id give it a shot especially if you need to be alerted when the entry shows up in the log. 

-Chad

Featured Posts