cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vaults (eg. Hashicorp, CyberArk) in Dynatrace extensions

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Dynatrace supports using some vaults within synthetic monitoring. There are also some Product Ideas around improving vault usage across the Dynatrace platform.

As an extension developer, this week I was asked to integrate one of our extensions with authentication information that is available in a vault. This is an interesting use-case, because the password that was being used in the extension expired, and it had been "forgotten", and so the user was being rendered useless 🤣 in other applications...

Now, before I deep dive into some not so good integration, have other extension developers tackled this issue?

Antonio Sousa
17 REPLIES 17

Lukasz_Be
Dynatrace Participant
Dynatrace Participant

Hi @AntonioSousa,

I am happy to announce that the integration between Extension Framework 2.0 and external credential vaults is not only planned but we are working on it, as we speak. 

Have a great week,

Lukasz

stanislaw_radzi
Observer

Hi @Lukasz_Be,

One of our big customers needs also the Dynatrace Cyberark integration for synthetic monitors. We are very excited to hear that your are already working on it. 

I didn't find anything on your Dynatrace technology support roadmap. Is there already an estimated date for the integration or a page to your roadmap? 

Best, 

Stanisław 

We are waiting for this feature as well. I see integrations for 2 types of vaults but not for Cyberark.

Lukasz_Be
Dynatrace Participant
Dynatrace Participant

Hi @stanislaw_radzi & @sivart_89,

CyberArk is in scope of our current development.

Best Regards,

Lukasz

Hi @Lukasz_Be,

that's great news! Is there already a timeline when we can expect CyberArk integration?

Thanks,
Olga

Adrian_I
Participant

Hello @Lukasz_Be ,

Can you please confirm that not only external vault but also the internal Dynatrace Credential Vault is in scope of your planned work?

My team also has this use-case of providing credentials to various extensions configurations and it would be useful to use the integrated Dynatrace Vault. So far, the Credential Vault API is only usable in the scope of Synthetic Monitors.

Regards,
Adrian

DanielS
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Dynatrace-product-ideas/RFE-Extend-the-use-of-Credential-Vault-to...

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

Vakho
Helper

Hello, 
 Do we have any timeline update about CyberArk integration? 

Thanks

Hi Vakho,

an integration with CyberArk is available since version 1.262.

Hi Olga, 
 Where is it possible to see it? Or any documentation on how to integrate? 
I tried to find in extensions but no luck with version 1.265

Hi Vakho,

the can find instructions on how to do it here: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/platform-modules/digital-experience/synthetic-monitoring/gene...

In a nutshell you need first to create an entry in the credential vault with appropriate credentials for CyberArk authentication and then the required credential will be retrieved from CyberArk via a HTTP monitor.

@olga_wall  Oh, Thank you.! Dunno how I missed that. 

You're welcome 🙂

ct_27
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Any chance support will be provided to access the Dynatrace internal vault directly?     

We are currently writing a bunch of Extension 1.0 Python extensions (yes, we will convert to 2.0 later) but it would be amazing if the Extensions SDK had the ability to extract passwords directly from the native Dynatrace vault.

Additionally, this is useful for corporations like mine that use an external password vault different from the 3 DT currently supports. I'm sure there are many other companies like mine.  But we all use the Dynatrace native vault, so why not let Extensions communicate with that.  

As a workaround, we're looking into using the credential vault APIs.

P.S. If Python 2.0 Extensions will be able to read from the Dynatrace native credential vault, then we'll wait for that to deliver.

HigherEd

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

This is indeed something coming with Python in EF2.

Mike

😀 🎊 📣  Hooray!!!!!!

HigherEd

Featured Posts